The Ministry of Religion and Public Education approved the foundation of a sub-grammar school in Szentgotthárd on 1 September 1893. Education was started two years later in the building constructed in accordance with the plans prepared by Zsigmond Herczeg and built by Henrik Loetz. After the school was upgraded to main grammar school, school-leaving exams could also be organised. This occurred first on 26 and 27 June 1906. The school was renamed to ‘Szentgotthárd Hungarian Royal State Main Grammar School’ as of the school year of 1907/1908. The school was renamed ‘Vörösmarty Mihály Grammar School’ on 9 September 1947. Ilona Vörösmarty, the daughter of the Mihály Vörösmarty, was married to Kálmán Széll, the region’s Member of Parliament who played an important role in the establishment of the grammar school. A new wing was built to the building in 1997.