The oldest monument of the town is the granary-theatre, thus it accompanied the history of Szentgotthárd over centuries. At the time when the Cistercians settled down, they built an unusually large-scale church. Royal captain Wolfgang Tieffenbach had it blown up in 1605 in fear of the approach of the Haiduk, led by Gergely Németh. György Széchenyi, the archbishop of Esztergom, had the new church built for the community in the years 1676-77, which Prior Marian Reutter, the later abbot, changed into a granary between 1787 and 1790 for the Cistercians. The church was re-built into a theatre in the 1990’s and as such it still is the centre of cultural life in the town.